Great Northern? (Swallows and Amazons #12) (Compact Disc)
Available for special order
Other Books in Series
This is book number 12 in the Swallows and Amazons series.
- #1: Swallows and Amazons (MP3 CD): $9.99
- #2: Swallowdale (MP3 CD): Email or call for price
- #3: Peter Duck: A Treasure Hunt in the Caribbees (Swallows and Amazons #3) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #5: Coot Club (Swallows and Amazons #5) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #6: Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons #6) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #7: We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (Swallows and Amazons #7) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #8: Secret Water (Swallows and Amazons #8) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #9: The Big Six (Swallows and Amazons #9) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #10: Missee Lee (Swallows-And-Amazons-For-Ever! #10) (Compact Disc): $19.99
- #11: The Picts & the Martyrs (Swallows and Amazons #11) (Compact Disc): $19.99
Finally Here is the twelfth, and ﬁnal, book in Arthur Ransome's acclaimed Swallows and Amazons series. People familiar with his earlier work will recognize the pattern: children set out on an adventure (this one off the coast of Scotland) with a minimum of parental advice and interference. Here, the story centers on a desperate race to thwart the efforts of pernicious egg collectors threatening the survival of a pair of rare birds not previously known to nest in British waters (actually, the bird is the handsome North American "Great Northern Diver," more commonly called a loon). When we ﬁrst considered reissuing this beloved series, we asked our friends what they thought of the idea. No one encouraged us; but we loved the books. They were rooted in reality and had the grit and voice of real experience. Practical information abounded - about sailing and navigating, tickling trout and tying knots. Problems set to children were solved. Today, with all twelve titles in print, we're pleased to report that there are legions of Ransome fans who welcome each new addition with enthusiasm. The success of ﬁne writing has everything to do with good stories, palpable energy, engaging models, and credible adventures; and all these Arthur Ransome provides in spades. "Written in the most beautiful English, this is one of the books that I would be proud to give anyone." - BBC.