Working for Yourself: Law & Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers & Gig Workers of All Types (Paperback)
The all-in-one legal and tax resource every independent contractor and gig worker needs
Whether you're starting a full-scale consulting business or booking gigs on the side, Working for Yourself provides all the legal and tax information you need in one place. This eleventh edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect all the changes under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act--changes that are largely beneficial to the self-employed. This excellent, well-organized reference will also show you how to:
- decide the best form for your business (sole proprietor, LLC, or other)
- make sure you're paid in full and on time
- pay estimated taxes and avoid trouble with the IRS
- take advantage of all available tax deductions, including the 20% pass-through tax deduction for business owners
- choose health, property, and other kinds of insurance
- keep accurate records in case you get audited, and
- write legally binding contracts and letter agreements.
If you're tired of doing endless web searches for the information you need to start and run your business, this easy-to-use and authoritative resource is for you.
About the Author
Stephen Fishman is the author of many Nolo books, including Deduct It! Lower Your Small Business Taxes, Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide and Home Business Tax Deductions: Keep What You Earn-plus many other legal and business books. He received his law degree from the University of Southern California and after time in government and private practice, became a full-time legal writer.