The Essential Home-Ground Flour Book: Learn Complete Milling and Baking Techniques, Includes 100 Delicious Recipes (Paperback)
The many benefits of home flour milling include taste and flavor and the appeal of making a healthy food that tastes good and is seriously nutritous. Home ground flour milling can also save countless dollars just in the cost of bread alone, especially for those with special dietary needs and restrictions, and improved health leads to reduced medical costs.
This comprehensive how-to details the whole process behind home flour milling with features such as:
- The history of whole grains and grain anatomy
- Benefits of commercially milled flour vs home milled flour
- Tools and equipment for home flour milling
- Baking basics including mixing methods and techniques -- the importance of gluten and moisture
- Going with the grains -- a thorough description of grains such as barley, rye, kamut and buckwheat
- Nut flours such as almond
- Baking with freshly milled grains.
There are also 100 recipes for tasty quick breads, rolls and buns, muffins, pancakes, coffee cakes, biscuit and scones, cookies, brownies and pastries, plus others that are gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
The Home Ground Flour Book is ideal for anyone who wants to create their own flours.
About the Author
Sue Becker is a popular speaker and teacher. Since 1992, she has been teaching others the healthful benefits of whole grain nutrition and baking with freshly milled flour. She is a business owner and has a degree in Food Science from the University of Georgia.